Nerja is a beautiful municipality located on the Costa del Sol in the province of Malaga, Andalusia, Spain. It has a rich history dating back to prehistoric times, with evidence of human habitation found in the nearby caves. The town was also occupied by the Phoenicians, Romans, and Moors, and played an important role in the region’s agriculture and trade.
Today, Nerja has a population of approximately 22,000 people. The municipality has a significant percentage of foreigners, with around 30% of the population hailing from other countries. The largest groups of foreigners are from the UK, Germany, and France.
Nerja is divided into several different districts, each with its own unique character. The town center is known for its narrow streets and whitewashed houses, while other areas offer a more modern and cosmopolitan feel. The Balcon de Europa is a popular spot for tourists and locals alike, with stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea.
In terms of shopping, Nerja offers a range of opportunities, from local markets and artisan shops to modern malls and supermarkets. The town also has a variety of bars, restaurants, and cafes, serving up both traditional Spanish cuisine and international fare.
The average housing prices in Nerja vary depending on the type of property. Apartments can be found for around €150,000, while villas typically start at €350,000. Prices can vary depending on location and amenities.
For families looking for international schools, Nerja offers a range of options. The English International College is a popular choice, with a British-style curriculum and excellent facilities.
When it comes to dining out, Nerja has a variety of excellent restaurants. Here are five of the best:
- Restaurant 34: A modern, upscale restaurant serving Mediterranean-inspired cuisine with a creative twist.
- El Candil: A cozy, family-run restaurant offering traditional Spanish dishes made with locally-sourced ingredients.
- Fusion Food and Lounge: A trendy spot with a fusion menu that combines Asian and Mediterranean flavors.
- The Lounge Bar: A stylish cocktail bar and restaurant serving up delicious tapas and creative cocktails.
- La Puntilla: A seafood-focused restaurant located on the beach, offering fresh, local catches prepared simply and expertly.
Nerja is also known for its beach clubs, which offer a range of amenities and services. Here are some of the best:
- El Playazo Beach Club: A laid-back beach club with sun loungers, a restaurant, and beach games.
- Nerja Club: A family-friendly beach club with a pool, restaurant, and entertainment for children.
- Burriana Beach Club: A popular spot with beach volleyball, paddleboarding, and kayaking, as well as a restaurant and bar.
- Ayo Beach Bar: A classic beach bar serving up paella and other traditional Spanish dishes.
- Chiringuito Mauri: A stylish beach club with a modern design, offering a variety of cocktails and fresh seafood.
Nerja is also home to several beautiful beaches, each with its own unique charm. Here are some of the best:
- Burriana Beach: A long, sandy beach with plenty of amenities, including restaurants, showers, and sun loungers.
- Calahonda Beach: A small, picturesque cove with crystal-clear waters and stunning views of the cliffs.
- Maro Beach: A secluded beach with crystal-clear waters and excellent snorkeling and diving opportunities.
- El Salon Beach: A small, hidden gem with calm waters and a relaxed atmosphere.
- Torrecilla Beach: A popular spot with a wide range of facilities, including showers, toilets, and a playground.
For golf enthusiasts, Nerja has several excellent courses in